Common Types of Computer Crimes
July 25, 2022
Cybercrime is a growing threat, with the number of attacks. Criminal activity occurs not in the streets, but behind a computer screen and it has become a big problem. Cybercrime is committed by cybercriminals or hackers who want to make money easily. Cybercrime aims to damage computers for reasons other than profit. These are the common types of computer Crimes;
- Hacking: This is where computer hackers guess passwords to get into individual user accounts or steal large amounts of data from companies.
- Viruses and Malware: Computer viruses can either destroy a device or give a criminal unfettered access to your data. Programmers identify weaknesses in the security of major programs every day. They create viruses and malware to interfere with computer function.
- Phishing: These are spam emails or fake advertisements on websites. If the user clicks on the link, it gives the sender access to everything on the computer.
- Identity Theft: This cybercrime occurs when a criminal gains access to a user’s personal information to steal funds, access confidential information, or participate in tax or health insurance fraud. There are a lot of things you can do to help keep criminals from getting your private information.
- Social Engineering: This is criminals making direct contact with you usually by phone or email. They want to gain your confidence and usually pose as a customer service agent. Cybercrime continues to evolve, with new threats surfacing every year.
When you hear and read about the range of cybercrimes out there, you might be tempted to stop using the internet entirely. Most internet users are not dwelling on the fact that they may get hacked and many rarely change their credentials or update passwords.
It’s important to become informed and know how to curb cybercrime, join Dotconnectafrica today and start your Digital Transformation with us and learn how to prevent cybercrime.